As Your Dentist in Solana Beach CA, Our Knowledge and Experience Give You the Proper Treatment for any Periodontal Disease
We are an experienced Dentist Solana Beach CA with the necessary expertise, drive, and equipment to provide patients with periodontal disease treatment. For those who are suffering from periodontal disease in Solana Beach and have not been able to receive proper treatment and care, Solana Beach Dentistry is always available to serve you.
For a better understanding of the disease, kindly go through the information below:
What Is Periodontal Disease?
Periodontal diseaseStarts with inflammation of the gums due to plaque and tartar accumulation. As the inflammation advances and turns the gums red, the condition becomes known as gingivitis. With proper intervention by a dental professional and a good home care regime, this condition can be reversed and health can be restored. If left unaddressed, the inflammation progresses, bacteria multiply and the body reacts by losing bone and support around the teeth.
Once there is bone loss, the condition is called periodontitis. Most cases progress in a very painless fashion, which is why periodontitis is the number one cause of tooth loss. Recent studies also show many links between periodontitis and systemic diseases such as atherosclerosis, heart disease, diabetes and low birth weight.
Signs and Symptoms of Periodontal Disease
The most common symptoms of periodontitis are:
- Gums bleeding
- Red, puffy, or tender gums
- Constant bad breath or generally bad taste in the mouth
- Receding gums or discomfort in gums
- Formation of deep pockets at the foot of teeth
- Loose teeth
- Changes in the way teeth fit together upon biting down, or in the fit of partial dentures.
Types of Periodontal Disease
There are several different forms of periodontal disease. Below are the most common ones:
- Chronic Periodontitis. - This form is characterized by inflammation in the supporting tissues causing gum recession. It's the most common form of periodontal disease that is known with formation of pockets, recession of the gums, or both.
- Necrotizing Periodontitis. - This form of periodontal disease is common with people suffering from HIV, immonusuppression, and malnutrition. It causes tissue death in alveolar bone, gingival tissues, and periodontal ligament.
- Aggressive Periodontitis. - This form of periodontitis can occur in clinically healthy individuals. Patients suffering from aggressive periodontitis experience rapid loss of gum attachment and acute bone destruction.
Periodontal Disease Treatment
There are different types of treatments for periodontitis with each one recommended based on every patient’s unique condition. There are surgical and non-surgical treatments based on the condition of the jawbone, teeth, and gums. For someone who would like to get treatment for periodontal disease in Solana Beach, we provide a thorough exam before recommending any given procedure.
Below are some of the treatment options we have for periodontal disease:
- Tissue Regeneration. - Using grafting procedures, re-growth can be obtained in areas where bone and tissue loss have occurred.Dental Implants - The functionality and aesthetics of the jawbone can be restored by dental implants, which are prosthetic teeth that are inserted into the jawbone. This method is used when teeth have been lost due to periodontal disease.
- Scaling and Root Planing - Also known as deep cleaning, it is a non-surgical procedure performed under local anesthesia. Used on moderate pocket depths, sometimes in conjunction with antibiotic therapy to arrest the infection.
- Pocket Elimination Surgery. – This is also known as "flap surgery" and is performed to lessen the pocket size between teeth and gums and to reshape the supporting bone.