Root canals are perhaps the most dreaded procedure in the dental field because they are associated with extreme pain and discomfort. Root canals are needed when the nerve inside the tooth comes into contact with bacteria, more often from an unattended cavity or trauma. Thankfully, in today’s world, we can make people quite comfortable throughout the procedure. Be sure to ask your dentist about how that can be achieved.
Here are the top 10 tips provided by our dentist in Solana Beach to avoid having to have a root canal down the road:
- Avoid drinking and eating acidic foods like soda and citrus juices. These present a double whammy to teeth: They first break down enamel. They then saturate the tooth in sugar for bacteria to feast on!
- If your playing sports don’t forget to wear a mouth guard. Mouth guards are an essential part of equipment to protect your teeth.
- Wear a mouthguard at night. If you always grind or clench your teeth while you’re sleeping, make sure that you wear a night-guard to protect your teeth from fractures, this can eventually expose the roots of the tooth.
- Weak teeth be wary. If you already have weak teeth or restorations, skip crunchy fruits and vegetables like carrots and apples, which just so happen to be two of the biggest tooth-crackers.
- Back away from the ice as much as possible. Many of us are tempted by the cool, fresh taste of ice at the end of a beverage. But chewing the ice can easily fracture, break or break a tooth or filling! Once it happens, bacteria can be easily route into the nerve center of your tooth.
- Avoid sweet and hard foods like hard candies and lollipops. Both of which cause cracks that allow bacteria to enter your root system.
- Weak teeth be wary. If you already have weak teeth or restorations, you should also skip crunchy fruits and vegetables such as carrots and apples, which just so happen to be two of the biggest tooth-crackers.
- Brush twice a day. A simple step but far too many adults and children skip this especially at night. Brushing your teeth before bed should be just as automatic as turning off the light.
- Floss once a day. Skipping the floss is like only washing 70% of your body when you shower. This doesn’t just contribute to bad breath – it also gives root-damaging bacteria a place to hide and thrive!
- Contact Solana Family Dentist Solana Beach for your regular dental check up and cleanings. A cracked tooth found early can often be spared root canal treatment. If you’re experiencing pain, have it checked immediately by a dentist Solana Beach CA. Any pain is a sign that something is amiss in your mouth and ignoring it will only make treatments more serious down the road.
Call Solana Family Dentistry with any dental problem that may require a root canal procedure to repair. The need for a root canal could be much more serious than you may realize.